Thursday, January 8, 2009

Reading Fine in 2009

In my homeschooling journey, I've found the message boards at The Well-Trained Mind (named for Susan Wise Bauer's inspirational and thorough book on classical homeschooling) invaluable. K in Cal from the boards came up with a 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge, and I've pledged to take part. Here are the rules:
  • Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  • Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  • School related books don't count (unless you want them to)
  • You can start reading on 1-1-09 at 00:00:01AM

The book I've finished this week was Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. Despite being an English major and having an M. Ed. in English Education, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've not read it in its entirety before. My intention in reading it was two-fold: to complete the reading of a classic and also to inspire me in my spiritual journey. It is amazing to me that the allegory and language did not seem stale to me; in fact, the allegory helped me to see that the journey of the Christian faith is a universal one. Although our individual pitfalls and Sloughs of Despond and captivity in the giant Despair's Castle and battles with Apollyon are each unique, it gives me comfort that every Christian does go through these all. In that comfort I find the freedom to release myself from any discouragement or condemnation I may feel and venture on to the Celestial City! Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:1-2).

My book for Week 2 of 2009 will be a lighter, historical-fiction book. It is The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory and is about the life of Catherine of Aragon.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Celly, I just recently read PILGRIM'S PROGRESS for the first time, too! Can't believe it took us so long! :-)

I would also recommend THE DREAM GIVER by Bruce Wilkinson and HINDS' FEET ON HIGH PLACES by Hannah Hurnard. Both are allegories like PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, and both are encouraging supplements to God's Word.

"Blessed are those whose strength is in You, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage." (Psalm 84:5)

Catherine said...

I listened to The Constant Princess on audiobook and really enjoyed it. The problem was that it was an abridged version. I would have preferred to read or listen to the entire thing. In any case, enjoy!!