Friday, March 27, 2009

Look What I Got!


The kids and I met Joel today at Pizza Hut for the lunch buffet. After lunch we stopped by the grocery store to pick up some juice , half-and-half, strawberries, and grapes. When I walked into the produce section, I passed by the display that usually holds some type of promotional items. I paused and then walked backwards to look at the Blue Willow china that Bi-Lo was offering for the next few weeks. Three-piece place settings of a dinner plate, cup, and saucer were being offered at 2 place settings for $5.


I deliberated and then figured out that I couldn't beat this price anywhere. When I reached down to put some of the place settings in the cart, I saw that there were no more boxes out. Emily Anne and Will were getting restless, so we moved on to pick up our items. I asked at the cash register if they were out of the Blue Willow place settings. They found some more in the back, and I got six dinner plates and six cups and saucers for fifteen dollars. What a deal!

I couldn't wait to set my table with it when I got home. In fact, I was so eager that I didn't even iron my placemats (just ignore the wrinkles and turned up corners). I love blue-and-white china and decorate with it in several rooms throughout our house. The bowl in the center of the table is a piece that I borrowed from the living room, emptied it of potpourri and plopped in some apples. This china also matches a favorite lamp of mine in the kitchen.

I do have a twelve-piece set of Wedgwood Nantucket Basket that we got when we got married that we use for every day. Now that the children are getting old enough to eat from real plates (as opposed to plastic dishes)though, I think I'll feel a little safer with them using this Blue Willow. I'd also love to mix and match the Blue Willow with the Nantucket Basket. The Blue Willow salad plates would look so cute with the Wedgwood dinner plates!
The display posted what pieces would be offered at special prices which week, but the kids didn't allow me time to jot them down. I thought I could find them online, but was unsuccessful. I'll just have to make a trip sans children so that I can write it all down and figure out what pieces I'd like to add. I especially have my eye on a teapot in this pattern!
Do you know the story behind the Blue Willow pattern? Here is the story that was on the insert in the box:
Once there lived a very wealthy mandarin who had a beautiful daughter named Hong Shee, who fell in love with her father's secretary, a man named Chang. To keep them apart, the father imprisoned his daughter in the palace. One day she escaped, and the two lovers raced over the bridge to a waiting boat. They managed to elude the mandarin, reach the boat, and sail away. A storm developed; the boat foundered; and the couple were lost at sea. It is said that two love birds appeared immediately thereafter . . . .
If you look closely at the first picture in this post, you can see the palace, two figures on the bridge, a boat, and two birds.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yay! What a great deal. I actually got my Blue Willow the same way ... about 10 years ago when we lived in Florida! Publix was having the deal then. I ended up with dinner plates, salad plates, cups & saucers, cereal bowls, and salad/soup bowls.

We broke a plate recently; I'll have to check and see which size it was. I may have you pick one up for me! :-)

PS-Got your note and check today. Thank you. :-) It is so refreshing to get a handwritten letter in the mail! So glad some things sold! Looking forward to seeing y'all at the beach in a couple of weeks! (I'm supposed to be commenting on your post; I don't know why this is turning into personal e-mail correspondence! Sorry ...)

The Stylish House said...

Celly,
It was nice to read your comments you left on my blog! I wanted to stop by, say hello and thank you. Your new blue and white willow is lovely. What a fantastic price, and they look wonderful in your home.
I also appreciate the peaceful nature of your blog. It is a good reminder of what is important in life. Have a nice weekend with your sweet family.
blessings, Cathy

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi! thanks for visiting at That Old House.... and I am GREEN with envy at your blue and white Willow china. I can't believe what a bargain you got. I have always wanted Blue Willow, but so far it has eluded me.

Don't tell my husband ... he already thinks I'm nuts and doesn't need more confirmation.

My dogs say HEY to your sister's dogs. (We used to have two tricolor girls. I love Cavaliers, and can't imagine life without them.)

Lovely blog!

Cass

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Celly...

I just wanted to stop by your place to say thank you for visiting and taking a peek at my "Brume de Rose" tablescape! Thank you for your kind comment!

I'm so glad that I stopped by. This is my first visit to your blog and I enjoyed reading down through some of your posts! I especially enjoyed reading the post about hearing God's voice...thank you for sharing that. I noticed in your profile that you are homeschooling your children, I have 3 daughters (all grown and married with families). I homeschooled them for several years and have never regretted my decision to do so. We all have the fondest memories of those times!!! I wish you the best in your endeavors!

Now...to talk about this lovely Blue Willow china that you found! They are lovely and what a bargain! I'm in Colorado and we don't have that grocery line here...boohoo! I would certainly be paying them a visit if we did! Hehe!

So very nice to meet you...have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

Chari

Kim said...

I love your dishes! You sure got a deal there! I would've snatched 'em right up too. So hard shopping with the kids isn't it?? Love your blog! ~~Kim~~

The Bloom Girls said...

Wow! You got an awesome deal on those dishes! I love eating off of "real plates" also, but with children and foster children I do not want them to be "heirloom' dishes or anything! I love to find deals on pretty dishes so we can really use them! Everyone feels special and grown up! Love the table! Thanks for visiting our blog, please come back by for a visit soon!

Blessings to you and yours!

Karyn