Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Autumn Family Night

Tonight's tablescape is a cozy autumn setting, just perfect for staying in with family. I have designed a curriculum for Christian Family Night for my church. It is based on the idea of turning off the TV, ignoring the computers, and letting the answering machine pick up, while we reconnect with our families and our faith. Everyone chips in on creating the meal (tonight's was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, butterbeans, yeast rolls, and sliced tomatoes) and setting the table. Will helped to add ingredients and stir up the sauce for the meat loaf. Emily Anne helped to set the silverware and to arrange the fall leaves around and under the goblets/candleholders. We light candles and read a special liturgy written by our pastor. Here it is by my husband's place setting.Here is a close-up of the liturgy.
After we eat dinner, we pitch in for a quick clean-up of the kitchen and then do some family activity. It is usually a board game like Sorry! or Toy Story Yahtzee, but last night was cool, and we opted for a walk around the neighborhood. After the family activity, we light another candle in the living room and settle in for a short devotional. We use The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos, and we read about the father who intercedes with Jesus for his sick son and talked about intercession. We then made a family prayer list of people we wanted to pray for. We stuck this poster on our refrigerator and will use it as a reminder to include these people in our prayers this week. We also use one of the drawers in the hutch to store Christmas cards we've received. Emily Anne and Will take turns choosing a Christmas card each night before the blessing, and we pray for the people who sent us the card. Here is the hutch decorated for fall.
Now, on to the tablescape details!
The placemats and napkins were ones that I found at Christmas Tree Hill on our trip to Pennsylvania. It has been difficult to save them until fall! The plates are stoneware that my husband had before we were married, and I thought the yellows, rusts, and olives picked up the color from the placemats beautifully. The iced tea goblets are Fostoria Jamestown. I've shared before how my mother had these in pink and how they hold such great memories for me. I wish I had some in every color, but I am really enjoying the amber and the glow they give, especially in candlelight!
I found the maple-leaf napkin rings last year at Wal-Mart, which is also where I scored the pumpkin and gourd salt-and-pepper shakers.

Happy Fall, y'all, and be sure to visit Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for more autumn inspiration!

14 comments:

podso said...

I enjoyed reading this post so much! Such a nice tradition with the drawer of Christmas cards. I also liked your post earlier--the francescan (?). My mom has desert rose...I thought I had made a comment when I read it earlier but I guess not!

Both are pretty table settings.

Enjoy the cooler weather!

Debbie said...

You know, I love the tablescape. The colors are so pretty, and I totally agree that it would have been hard to save those great napkins until fall.

BUT what I really love even more is the first part of the post and the family worship and fellowship time. We did ours on Saturday nights, even when the girls were older. I MISS it dearly. The husband and I are new empty nesters and trying to get the groove of a new "family" without the kids.

May you and your husband be very blessed for and through these family evenings... at your lovely table!

Tricia said...

What a warm, welcoming table! You're right, those dishes are perfect with the plaid placemats! I know you are building wonderful memories for your children with your family night activities.

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Including a tablescape that the whole family participates in is bound to be fun and your "helpers" created a lovely one. The
glasses-turned-pillar-holders is a terrific idea and look great! We had those same plates when we first got married and seeing them again brought back special memories. May God bless your efforts to raise your children and increase their knowledge of His Word.

DD

Marlis said...

what a lovely thought to say a prayer for those who sent each card. I think I'll borrow that in your honor. Your table is lovely and very welcoming. I love those placemats.

Anita Diaz said...

This is what it's all about isn't it? What a lovely example for all of us. If more families did this I think we would have a healthier society. They are going to have such great memories as they get older. And, of course, your table is so warm and inviting! I love the plaid so much. I bought some fabric very similar that I need to make napkins out of! Og course I love your Fostoria:-)

Diann said...

A perfect family table! I totally agree with having a family dinner without any other distractions. We dedicate at least 3 nights a week to just time at the dinner table together.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

We used the same napkin rings this week! This looks like a delightful family night Fall table. Turning off the rest of the world and having a family only night is a wonderful thing to do. Blessings to you and your family -- enjoy this time because the little birds leave the nest all so soon!

Jacqueline said...

What lovely ideas to center the family (besides the lovely table too). In our church worldwide, Monday nights are set aside for Family Home Evening - FHE as we often abreviate it. We have lessons and activities and treats - you have given me some really great ideas. I love the prayer list. What a helpful reminder of those in need as we get busy in our days, it is easy to forget who we need to pray for and the drawer of Christmas cards is brilliant, besides being reminded of the birth of Christ on a daiy basis. Thank you for sharing these fabulous ideas.

Chubby Chieque said...

A happy family prays together for better or for worst.

Your TS is gorgeous...


Happy TS Day!

Greetings from a chilly Stockholmer,
/chie

Scribbler said...

Your parenting skills and devotion to your family are inspirational.


Your table is very, very pretty.

Melissa Miller said...

It all looks warm and beautifully done for fall! :)

Entertaining Women said...

You've set a beautiful table, but more that that you've set a beautiful tradition with your Christian Family Night. Thank you for sharing your charming design and plan. Cherry Kay

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

It's nice to see how you relate with your family...a welcoming tradition. Your table is pretty with your plaid placemats.