Today Lysa TerKeurst's Swap & Hop deals with organization. My organizational idea deals with memorizing Bible verses. I would try to do this and would memorize one, only to have it drop out of memory as I memorized others (I am firmly convinced that bearing children drastically reduces brain cells!).
The credit for my tip today must go to Simply Charlotte Mason via Adventures at the Allen Academy. It is a wonderful scripture memorization tool that works great and makes me look organized. Here is how it works: (I hope to add pictures to this post; my camera batteries were dead!)
- On a selection of index card dividers write the following: Daily, Odd, Even, each of the days of the week, and dates 1-31. You will need a total of 41 index card dividers. I used regular index cards and then used the sticky tabs to make dividers. Place these dividers in an index file box.
- Make index cards with scriptures you have already memorized and want to memorize on them. I typed mine out so that I would have a record of the scriptures in case they got lost and so that my daughter could have a hand in the project by cutting them out and glueing them on index cards. I imagine that you could also make an index card you could stick in the front or back where you list the addresses of the verses if you want a record.
- For scriptures that you already know, put one card each behind all the index cards beyond Daily (Even, Odd, Monday, etc.). You may start out with none you know, and that's fine; you'll eventually add them as you learn them! Choose one scripture you want to begin memorizing and put it behind Daily. Other "new" verses can go in the very back of your box.
- Each day, read aloud the Daily verse together. If it is an even day, read aloud the verse behind Even as review. If it is Friday, read the verse behind Friday's tab. If it is the 14th of the month, read the verse behind 14. This way, you learn a new verse and review 3 other verses.
- When you have a new verse learned, shift it to the Odd divider and shift all the other scripture cards back one divider. If you have cards behind all 41 dividers, you can have more than one verse to review behind each divider (You'll also be a Scripture Memory Queen!).
Here are the verses that we've started with:
1 Thessalonians 5:18
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
1 Peter 2:8
1 John 1:8
1 Corinthians 14:40
1 Timothy 4:12
1 Timothy 6:10
1 John 4:19
2 Corinthians 12:9