Tuesday, April 8, 2008

10 Minute Tuesday



Faithful Chick's Scripture for today is Psalm 139 1-4:

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

These verses have always given me a sense of protection. After all, God knows when I'm sitting (maybe a little too often) and when I get up. He knows when I leave to go somewhere and when I lay my head down on my pillow at night. These verses also mean that he knows when my child goes to preschool for the first time or when she ventures to the mailbox on her own. He knows when my husband is flying for a business trip. Every move we make, God is there. Because of this assurance, I don't have to worry. I can rest in the knowledge that God knows our goings out and comings in and wants His best for us.

There is another kind of protection going on in these verses, one that is not quite as comfortable to think about. God knows me through and through, the good--and the bad that I don't like to admit to myself. He is familiar with all my ways, those pesky bad habits like procrastination or comparing myself to others or assigning blame. He knows that I will do those things before I even know it. In fact, He knows what I'm going to say before I say it. If He knows that, He can help me avoid saying those things that are better left unsaid, or even unthought. Yes, He knows my thoughts, too. And He can help me guard them.

For more thoughts on these verses, click here.

2 comments:

twinklemom said...

Yes, He knows my thoughts, too. And He can help me guard them.


Amen...God loves us so much and that is such a great reminder that there is nothing about us, He doesn't know and should just trust Him that He is there to help us not hurt us or keep us in bondage.

God bless you for your post!

fAiThFuL cHiCk said...

Good thoughts.