Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thirstin' for the Word Thursday--Homeschool Edition

graphic
If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." (John 7:37b)

Feeling a bit parched? Searching to quench that thirst with an iced tea or Diet Coke? Dive into the Word for real refreshment!

I try to be diligent in my Bible reading and am often rewarded by God's speaking to my heart through particular scriptures. I pause and sometimes even write them down. The reflection usually ends there, however. This year, I would like to pursue the verses that God lays on my heart by pondering how He wants me to apply these verses in my life.

Here is what spoke to me this week:
But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (1 Timothy 1:5)
Participating in Dana's Home Educators Week has turned my mind to teaching our children. When deciding on a verse for today's TftWT, I thought of this verse, which I had written down, along with other verses on teaching, when I was leading a Bible Study for my church. I had never looked at these verses in light of teaching my children before. I am amazed at how God's Word provides for our needs. Just look at all these verses explaining how we should be teaching our children: Colossians 3:16, 1 Timothy 4:16, 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Timothy 4:2. I haven't included all those verses from the Old Testament that are explicit in our duties as parents to teach our children.
I decided to write about 1 Timothy 1:5 today because I soon will be writing goals for our homeschooling, and this scripture seemed to call to me. It states that the objective of our teaching is love. Of course, we teach our children because we love them. Love is also what we want them to demonstrate, as a result of our example. In addition to our goal, this verse also gives us teacher materials that we will need to complete our goal.
First, we must have a pure heart. Our motives must not be sullied by a desire to see our children top all the other students in her Sunday School class by having the most verses memorized. Of course, pride in our children is a delight, but it should not become more important than the desire to see God's Word hidden in our children's heart to help them to please Him. Our reasons for teaching our children should not be to impress our friends with our sacrifice or organization or teaching ability. Our reason should be to equip them to fulfill God's purpose for them.
Second, we must have a good conscience. Our children learn from our lessons, but even more so, they learn from our actions. Our example is the greatest teacher. We should have a good conscience by examining ourselves for sin and then confessing and earnestly repenting. This process teaches our children, as well.
Finally, we must have a sincere faith. Children can quickly determine the bogus from the genuine and can quickly discern if the words we're spouting are simply words or what we truly believe.
These materials seem like a tall order to acquire, but we always have a Helper.
So, what verses have spoken to you this week? Post those verses on your own blog, along with how you see that God wants you to apply them in your life. Then, provide your link below so that we can drink from one another's wells of scripture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so familiar. I had mentioned this in a post on a group a few months ago. It is so true. Our first ministry is our home and we must prepare for it just as any other ministry by having the right relationship with the Master Teacher. How can one become a teacher less one also becomes a student. I am still learning as always but thank the Lord for His strength and guidance. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

twinklemom said...

I love TftWT and it's just a great exercise to have; I feel bad I missed last week's due to illness (strep throat for one of the kids and cold for me, lovely combo! lol) and I love how it focuses us on God's word, challenges us and convicts us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing this verse to my attention ... I added it as a tagline on my blog.