Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thirstin' for the Word Thursdays



"'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.'" (John 7:37b)





Feeling a bit parched? Searching to quench that thirst with an iced tea or Diet Coke? Dive into the Word for real refreshment!

I am diligent in my Bible reading and am often rewarded by God's speaking to my heart through particular scriptures. I pause and sometimes even write them down. The reflection usually ends there, however. This year, I would like to pursue the verses that God lays on my heart by pondering how He wants me to apply these verses in my life.

Here are the verses that spoke to me this week:

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." Then the LORD said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on." (Exodus 14:13-15 NIV)


Application:



  • "Stand firm" in your faith in the Lord when fear and worry invade your mind. Repeat to yourself, "The LORD will fight for you."


  • "Be still" when you are tempted to run ahead of God. Pray to God for guidance and discernment of His will and allow Him room to work in your life.


  • "Move on" once you receive His guidance. Don't become stagnant in a pool of fear but keep going in confidence that God is on your side.

I would love for this blog to be a community spring where we can all share and partake of one another's jars of living water. If particular verses spoke to you during your Bible reading and devotions this week, please post these on your blog, along with how you see God leading you to apply them. Type your name and URL below, and please leave a comment on this blog.


Looking forward to sipping some scripture with you all!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, I managed to link. Only took me 6 goes. Life was much easier with a carrier pigeon!

Am really pleased to be part of your Thirstin' for the word Thursdays.

I am always struck by the fact that so often God calls us to stand.Having been brought up as an evangelical it still comes as a shock that there are times when to stand is enough...to be in position ready to do what is next WHEN God says rather than making assumptions about what God might want or indeed giving Him my advice!

Being still is something I really need to work on. I have a butterfly mind and sometimes, well often, find it hard to focus on hearing God. Sometimes I think a burning bush woukd be a great help!


That then has to be balanced by moving when God says move and not getting too comfortable standing or being still so that we miss the call!

Moses was in such a hard place, with people who complained and were hostile and who had such a lot to learn.He must have had the most amazing focus on God to do what God called him to do and a real desire to hear God.

Van said...

I have beeen reading Jeremiah. History repeats itself. We all know that. January has been a "wake-up call" month I believe. We stand on the brink of more war and terrorism in the world, the financial out-look seems grim, here in the US we will find ourselves under new leadership soon and the foundation for that change is being laid all across the nation. What does the future hold? God gives his people lots of direction. Vss 5- 8 give us an idea of what we can do to change the tide: "stop your evil thoughts and deeds and start treating each other with justice; stop exploiting foreigners, orphans, and widows...stop your murdering; stop harming yourselves by worhiping idols..." I have my work cut out for me! Thanks for the opportunity to share and read others' thougths on God's Word.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post on reading God's Word. I'm a pastor's wife with three teens and dd of 11 - overwhelmed lately to say the least. Thanks for reminding me of where my strength comes from!