Thursday, September 4, 2008

Falling into Autumn

Although I seem to be jumping the gun here in South Carolina, I've been inspired by Melissa over at the Inspired Room. She is hosting a Fall Nesting celebration where we can post pictures of our autumn decorating. This has been such fun, and, now that I actually have furniture back in my house, I've had such fun cozying it up.


I began falling into autumn decorating when Kimba posted this on her blog A Soft Place to Land. You'll see in the pictures below that it was my main inspiration for fall decor. Here is the centerpiece I made for the dining-room table. I pulled out my Southern Living at Home plate and found some fall ribbon on an old basket and threaded it through the spaces. I turned over a wine glass and two of my grandmother's cordial glasses, putting them over silk autumn leaves and faux berries. I added a pumpkin but felt like it needed a little more and pulled out some doo-dads from a bowl of potpourri I had in the living room. I placed the centerpiece on a fall kitchen towel and folded it square (No, I didn't bother to iron it! In the Nester's words, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!). Here's the arrangement I made on the sideboard in the dining room, using the same idea but mixing in a crystal bowl and some crystal candlesticks.
I arranged the sideboard late last night (when the kids were asleep), and when I came downstairs this morning, it struck me as a little cluttered. We'll see if I leave it like this or not (Who am I kidding? When will I find the time to do this again?). Although I know that it is a deocorating no-no, I much prefer decorating with symmetry, so this arrangment is different for me. The other day at Wal-Mart I saw two really pretty hurricanes on top of bronze bases; I would have loved to have filled them up with small pumpkins, gourds, and berries. I figured, though, I should just work with what I have this year; maybe I can find them on clearance at the end of the season!

Moving from the dining room on into the kitchen, here is my centerpiece for the breakfast-room table. We got this pewter bowl and tray as wedding gifts. I thought the fruit motif played into the harvest theme. I plunked a wine glass over a silk leaf, placed three small pumpkins around the glass and added a sprig of faux berries in between each pumpkin.



Here's how I decorated the china cabinet housing my Liberty Blue china (sorry for the picture quality. How do I avoid glare from windows?). Please ignore that horrible wallpaper; I am really hoping to paint soon!

I just stuck little pumpkins, gourds, and leaves in the nooks and crannies and added small votive candles in makeshift candleholders (the one on the left is actually for tapers, and the one on the right is really a vase).

And finally, here is the mantelpiece in the den. I replaced a Christmas cactus and mother-in-law's tongue with these flowerpots filled with pumpkins.




I haven't done much outside yet; I think my neighbors would be a little perplexed if I started with autumn wreaths when it's still 90 degrees outside! I am already overhauling a wreath for the back door, though. I'll be back with more autumn decor later in the season. By the way, I am looking for two wrought iron stands that would hold ferns (or pumpkins) for my front porch. Does anyone know where I could find them (for a reasonable price)?

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love autumn! It's my favorite time of the year. Don't know about where to find wrought iron stands, but if you find out, let me know! I've bought some pretty metal stands at Home Depot before. Maybe you could even find some spring green ones on clearance ... and spray them black!

Everything looks so pretty, Celly. Catchy post title, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Pretty fall accessories! Believe it or not, I enjoy decorating for fall/Thanksgiving more that Christmas! You've offically got my wheels turning to start pulling out my stuff!

Teresa said...

Hi, I Came over from the Inspired Room-
First of all- Love your banner- won't it be divine to live on that street?
Thanks for sharing all your fall ideas- wonderful.

Terri Steffes said...

Hello! I found you from Inspired Room. I also have the Southern living plate posted on my blog. I love how you used yours. It is one of my favorite serving pieces!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog when I joined up at the Inspired Room to post my fallness. Your home is looking very nice. Love fall, don't you?

Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Berry's Patch said...

You home is looking very fall-ish. Love those candles in fall colors. :-)

Rue said...

Congratulations on your new house :)

You've done a wonderful job bringing Fall in your home and I love the blue bowls with the pumpkins in them... very cute!

rue

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Beautiful fall decorating! I'm especially fond of your dining room decor!! Leave it as is!!

Thanks for sharing!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What time is dinner? I just want to come over and sit. My house is lucky if I find the autumn wreath for the front door and the table cloth for the dining room table. Otherwise, decorations will wait until December. I know...

I win the prize for worst decorater ever. I don't mind. Someone got's to wear that shame. Might as well be me!

peace~elaine

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

I like all your candles! What an absolutely charming photo on your banner!