Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thirstin' for the Word Thursday



"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." (John 7:37b)

Feeling a bit parched? Searching to quench that thirst with an iced tea or Diet Coke? Dive into the Word for real refreshment!

I try to be diligent in my Bible reading and am often rewarded by God's speaking to my heart through particular scriptures. I pause and sometimes even write them down. The reflection usually ends there, however. This year, I would like to pursue the verses that God lays on my heart by pondering how He wants me to apply these verses in my life.

Here is what spoke to me this week:

The past few weeks have been tough for me. We have all been sick, and on top of the fatigue that comes with trying to take care of little ones when you're sick yourself, I feel that the enemy has me in his sights. There have been no huge temptations, but there has been frustration, irritation, discouragement, and weakness.

The only time I ventured out all week was to a local homeschooling association's Mom's Night Out. I still didn't feel good, and the fact that I wasn't yet well was underscored by a terrible coughing fit in the middle of the presentation! I know, though, that the Lord guided me to attend that night, if for no other reason than hearing this verse.

A Christian homeschooling mother who was almost finished with her journey of teaching five children through high school spoke on the topic of burnout. Her presentation was filled with scripture, but this verse was the one that stood out for me.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." (Isaiah 40:11)

In the midst of my discouragement, being led to this verse was balm to my spirit. It also provided direction to my heart and head.

  • Tending my flock is my responsibility. It is up to me to lead them to the pastures where they will find sweet grass to eat and clean water to drink. This metaphor applies to good nutrition, learning, and Biblical training.
  • Physical affection is important. My children have been climbing and clinging to me all week this week. As tiring as that gets, it is important for them to feel safe and comforted. Also, although discipline certainly has its place, when my children are out of sorts, sometimes gathering them up in my arms and giving them a hug does wonders.
  • I am being led, too. Just as I am leading my flock, God is always guiding me. I am never alone in mothering my children.
  • Gently is the way to lead. When I am not at my best, I am too often harsh with my children. I must remember to be gentle, even when I don't feel like it. Also, if things are frantic, it must not be God who is leading me. When I am frazzled, I need to check and see what I am following and make sure to focus in on the Good Shepherd's staff.

So, what verses have spoken to you this week? Post those verses on your own blog, along with how you see that God wants you to apply them in your life. Then, provide your link below so that we can drink from one another's wells of scripture.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my little blog corner. I love your insight to the Word. I will check out the Ten Min.Tues. site also. And welcome to the world of homeschooling! I know you are excited about your new journey in this year.

Rachel Harris said...

Beautifully written. I really do hope to get on a better routine in general so I can start contributing to this Meme, I think it is such a great idea!!!

This post really spoke to me.. did you see my HOTM post about Out of the mouth of babes, ha!

Thanks for posting.. this was beautiful

Blessings
Rachel

twinklemom said...

I love this! Definetely count me in, on making note to participate!