Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thirstin' for the Word Thursday



"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." (John 7:37b)

Feeling a bit parched? Searching to quench that thirst with an iced tea or Diet Coke? Dive into the Word for real refreshment!

I try to be diligent in my Bible reading and am often rewarded by God's speaking to my heart through particular scriptures. I pause and sometimes even write them down. The reflection usually ends there, however. This year, I would like to pursue the verses that God lays on my heart by pondering how He wants me to apply these verses in my life.

Here is what spoke to me this week:

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." (Deuteronomy 4:9)

How easy is it to forget what God has done in our lives? Too often I find myself caught up in the problems and irritations of the moment without remembering God's faithfulness to me in the past. When I think of how he has watched over me, protected my health and my heart, selected the right circumstances for me to make the kinds of friends He wished for me, led me to a Godly husband, and blessed me with healthy children, I should have perfect confidence in His plans for me. I just don't always remember His faithfulness.

I should share with Emily Anne and Will the times that I can recall that God was looking out for me and get them in the habit of looking for those times in their own lives so that they will be prepared to pass this important habit on to my future grandchildren.

I have had the idea to create a scrapbook recording instances of God at work in our family's lives. Has anyone else done something like this? I've seen Lisa Whelchel's This Is My Story and have been asked to lead it at church a year from now. Has anyone had experience with it? Faith scrapbooking seems like a good and fun way to fulfill Deuteronomy 4:9.

So, what verses have spoken to you this week? Post those verses on your own blog, along with how you see that God wants you to apply them in your life. Then, provide your link below so that we can drink from one another's wells of scripture.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome idea! I love it. I had my sons to start a prayer journal this year so they can see how God answers prayer. The scrap book idea is great! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad that God led me to your blog.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask if you had a button for TFTW? If not, please let me know if you would like one, I can make one for you if you explain what and how you would like it. My email is
allhim_praise @ yahoo dot com

I would love to have a button on my page and spread the news of your wonderful meme.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wouldn't dare charge a thing! Just tell me what you have in mind with something green or what would you like the pic to be and I'll get on it this afternoon. :-)

Amy Wyatt said...

I also have started a scrapbook about God's faithfulness for my children. Unfortunately, it is not as up to date as I would like for it to be. I have purchased the Lisa Welchel stuff but have not started it. Let me know how it goes. If I can get to it, I hope to participate today in Thirsting for the Word... but Spencer has a book report due. I may not get time to post today. Loved your post though.

Amy Wyatt said...

Oh, BTW, you should also announce your meme at Christian Women Online once Kysha has a button for you. I would love to spread the word about it too.

Glynnis Whitwer said...

I love the idea of a scrapbook showing God's work in our lives. I would love to see a photo of it sometime. Then, would you come to my house and help me catch up on the last 15 years of family photos? Then you can get me started on this one. (hee, hee)

Anonymous said...

CellyB,
Thanks for sharing your scripture. It reminded my of the bible readings I'm currently reading to the children about Moses and the Israelites wondering in the wilderness. As I read those stories I think how could the Israelites forgot about God like they did and HE was right there in their midst. Then the Holy Spirit reminds me of all the times I act the same way and I pray that I would walk in rememberence of how GREAT the God of the Bible has been and how GREAT He continues to be even in MY life right now today!

Anonymous said...

I chose you for a tag on my blog! Go see!